The grassroots organizing model is about raising up community leaders to take action for the cause.
How do you get those leaders?
It takes both recruiting them and then building them through training, support and experience.
And you have to recruit a lot of supporters to get a few leaders.
Tools for Radical Democracy has a sobering analysis. They say you need:
- “Four Hundred contacts for whom you have a name, address, and phone number
- One hundred who express an interest
- Thirty who attend a meeting or an action
- Ten who come back again and continue in some form with the organization
- Between one and five who engage in a leadership-development activity…
- One or two who continue to develop as leaders.
I don’t know about you, but this tells me I need to get out their there recruiting, following up, and training!